Sunday, June 29, 2014

NEWS: Envi group to present alternatives to proposed oil palm project in Davao

Source: MindaNews

By Lorie Ann Cascaro on June 29 2014 6:16 pm

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 29 June) — Environmental group Panalipdan Southern Mindanao said Saturday it is poised to present to the City Council alternatives to proposed oil palm plantations in Paquibato and Marilog districts here.

Malaysian and Thai companies had earlier expressed interest in planting oil palm in these areas.

Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte criticized the group’s opposition to the project saying they did not suggest anything to alleviate poverty in the area. His father, Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, also a staunch supporter of the project, said the opposition should suggest alternatives.

“We considered the suggestion to present alternatives to the city council,” said Belen Galleto, Panalipdan-SMR spokesperson. “In fact, we urge the government to review the perils such as what we mentioned in our (previous) statement,” she added.

In its statement, Panalipdan-SMR said that based on local and international experiences, foreign corporate-controlled palm oil plantations became drivers of social conflicts aside from causing environment degradation.

“So, it’s not likely that it’s an end-all and be-all in addressing poverty and insurgency. Indeed, it is not,” Galleto told Mindanews.

She said the group will present their alternatives to palm oil industry as soon as the City Council invites them.

Vice Mayor Duterte earlier asked why Panalipdan voiced out its objection when this was a “possible remedy” to poverty in the areas.

In response to the younger Duterte, Galleto said, “actually, the people’s movement has presented alternatives a long time ago.”

“The roadmap to address poverty and armed conflict is to address their root causes, which are mainly foreign corporate control, landlessness and agrarian injustices, and bureaucratic corruption. Instituting basic reforms such as genuine and thorough going agrarian reform and nationalist industrialization are among the alternatives presented by the people’s movement,” she said.

Such alternatives, she added are also the people’s peace agenda on peace talks between the Government of the Philippines and the National Democratic Front. Mayor Duterte has been urging the resumption of the talks.

“Panalipdan-SMR wants to have a dialogue with the Dutertes and members of the City Council to convey our position and suggestions,” Galleto said.

The group cited workers strikes against Malaysian-controlled Agusan Plantation, Inc. (API), Filipinas Palm Oil Plantation, Inc. (FPOPI), and Agumil in Agusan del Sur in November 2012 due to poor working conditions, lack of health and other benefits, and low wages.

Panalipdan said palm oil plantation expansion “has resulted to land grabbing such as the case in Opol, Misamis Oriental wherein A. Brown Company, Inc. started to establish 2,000 hectares of oil palm farms encroaching the Higaonon’s ancestral lands.”

In addition, oil palm plantation expansion has led to land use conversion resulting to a sharp decline in food production, which according to the group is “one of the factors of rice price hikes other than the hoarding of cartels and corruption of government’s agriculture agencies.”

“In fact, Davao City is one of the major rice importers in the country due to the continuous decline of 40% of local rice production since the expansion of pesticides-dependent monocrop farms in watershed areas,” Galleto said. (Lorie Ann A. Cascaro / MindaNews)

Friday, May 31, 2013

NEWS: Envi group opposes fish cages in Lasang

Source: Sunstar Davao

May 31, 2013

An environmental group warned Friday that allowing commercial fish pens in the sea off Lasang, Davao City may harm the ecosystem in the area.

Reacting to City Agriculturist Office (CAO) chief Valente Turtur's statement that fish cage operators are now allowed to operate, Juland Suazo, spokesperson of the Panalipdan Southern Mindanao, said Lasang has been declared as a Marine Protected Area (MPA) and the presence of fish cages may pose a threat to the local species of fish and coral reefs.

"We want to know CAO's basis. No haste in decision should be made because Lasang is identified as MPA due to sightings of critically endangered species whale sharks and marine turtles and relatively good conditions of coral reefs, sea grass beds, and mangroves based on Participatory Coastal Resource Assessment (PCRA)," Suazo said in text message.

He said this may also have a bearing on the local fisherfolk who help enforce the "fishery laws" and in the protection of mangroves.

"We want clarifications on its (CAO) decision. We warn that commercial fish pens could compete with and displace poor fisherfolk," he said.

In a phone interview, Turtur admitted that there are indeed parts from Bunawan to Lasang seas that have been declared as Marine Protected Area.

However, he said the actual site where the planned mariculture park will be put up is far from where the protected area is based on the recommendation made by the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR).

"Tama gyud na ang ilang giingon nila. Naay portion sa Lasang nga marine protected pero layo ra (They are right about what they said. There's a portion in Lasang that is a marine protected, but it's still far)," he said.

Turtur said they will also be putting up a buffer zone that will try to contain whatever wastes the fish cages may produce in order to maintain the cleanliness of the sea.

"Pero tan-awon pud nato ang carrying capacity sa dagat para ma-avoid ang fish kills tungod sa grabe nga input sa chemicals (We also need to look into the sea's carrying capacity to avoid fish kills caused by excessive input of chemicals)," Suazo said.

The environmental group maintained that it wants to educate the public that there are sightings of endangered sea creatures that may be gone, unless their natural habitat is well taken care of.

Suazo said they are willing to sit down with the CAO official to discuss the matter, adding they would also like to know how the buffer zone is done.

"It's for the future, it must not be compromised," he said, adding that a consultation meeting with the locals in Lasang must also be done.

In a previous report, Turtur said operators who want to put up fish cages in Lasang must secure prior documents such as Environmental Compliance Certificate from Department of Environment and Natural Resources, barangay clearance, and license to operate from CAO.

He said the closure order issued by the City Government last year on the fish cages in Punta Dumalag stays.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Big Issues in Small Mining: Assessing the Mt. Diwalwal Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining Communities



In November of 2012, Ateneo de Davao University, along with partner organizations Panalipdan-SMR and AFIRM hosted “Artisanal and Small-scale Mining in Mindanao: Issues, Opportunities and Future Options”, an international conference on artisanal mining. Read the conference report and the synopsis of metallurgist Adrian Daniel's presentation.

Friday, April 20, 2012

PHOTO: Panalipdan-SMR joined Earth Day commemoration at Centennial Park



Francis Morales of Panalipdan-SMR gives his input on regional environment situation at Centennial Park in commemoration of Earth Day.Text and Photos by Ike Del Rosario

Friday, March 23, 2012

Small scale miners: We will not give up Pantukan


Press Release
March 22, 2012

Small scale miners: We will not give up Pantukan
Burn effigy, US flag


Pantukan, ComVal – An effigy of a huge bulldozer and a U.S. flag marked with the logo of Russell Mines – St. Augustine was burned down along the Pantukan National highway, near Kingking Bridge, amidst the calls for right to livelihood, right to patrimony by small scale miners, farmers and indigenous folks.

The more than 2,000 strong delegation mostly coming from Diat 1 – 3, Panganason, Gumayan, Boringot and Post 4, culminated their 3-day camp-out – protest today with the promise that they will not give – up Pantukan.

“US-Canada’s mining giants guarded by P-Noy’s mining militias have come to displace us economically and physically from our source of living, our home, the only way we know how to live. But Davids as we are, we will surely win because we stand united. We can fight their bulldozers and rifles like our Mandaya ancestors fought the colonizers,” said Omar Gudo in the vernacular, chairperson of the Federation of Small Scale Miners of Compostela Valley (FSSMCV).

The SSM said although they understand the geohazards in some areas in Pantukan, they do not believe that all areas must be closed for small scale operations. The SSM insists the order is due to the Aquino government’s bias for large scale and foreign miners.

Meanwhile, Kilusang Magbubukid ng Pilipinas (KMP) said mining operations by US, Canada Australia and China will worsen the land problem and will affect the food produce from ComVal and Davao Oriental.

“Farmers too will be affected with the largescale and open pit mining method of Russell Mines – St. Augustine. Farmers’ communities surrounding Pantukan such as those in Mabini, and Maragusan in ComVal and Lupon in Davao Oriental, are also affected by this huge mining operation in Kingking,” said Pedro Arnado in the vernacular, chairperson of the Kilusang Magbubukid ng Pilipinas (KMP).

For instance, Arnado cited the case of China’s Skynix Holdings which operates in 7,776 hectares in Pantukan and Maragusan through the MPSA of Oro East Mining Company.

“The operation of Oro East – Skynix will affect the Sumlog River and the supposedly – protected Sumlog Watershed which provides water to the vast farmlands in Banay-banay which is one of the few remaining source of ‘rice’ in the region. So, the fight in Pantukan against open pit and foreign mining plunder by the US, Canada and China is supported by the farmers,” said Arnado.

“Largescale and foreign mining is landgrabbing where TNCs can own 100% up to 80,000 hectares of land while the government acts as the dealer. This means farmers and indigenous peoples are disenfranchised of their innate rights to land, which is supposed to be used for local food production of palay, mais etc so we will no longer have to import rice,” said Arnado.

Environmental group PANALIPDAN – SMR said the pro-foreign and unconstitutional Philippine Mining Act of 1995, must be scrapped in order to stop the ‘legalized’ influx of foreign mining TNCs in the country.

“We have to strengthen the peoples’ movements nationwide for the passage of the Peoples’ Mining Bill (PMB) which ensures a pro-people, domestic-needs based, local mining industry that will pave the way for national industrialization. We want profits from nationalized mining to lead to more sustainable economic base through genuine agrarian reform. And this is the only bill that carries this agenda,” said Francis Morales, secretary general of PANALIPDAN – SMR.

Morales added, “P-Noy’s new Mining E.O only means the government will levy more tax for the mining taxes. It does not have any significant difference from the current pro-foreign mining law.”

The PMB, authored by Rep. Teddy Casino of the Bayan Muna Party list, has gone through the 1st reading in the Lower House.#

Leaders from the Pantukan Site of Struggle, for reference:


Omar Gudo
Chairperson, FSSMCV

Pedro Arnado
Chairperson, KMP – SMR

Francis Morales
Secretary General, PANALIPDAN

More photos at arkibongbayan.org.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Farmers, small miners seek scrapping of Mining Act

Source: Sunstar Davao

March 3, 2011

AROUND 30 farmers and small-scale miners from Compostela Valley province and Paquibato District in Davao City staged a rally Thursday in San Pedro Street against the negative impact of the Philippine Mining Act of 1995.

Spearheaded by Panalipdan Southern Mindanao, the protesters called for the junking of the widely contested Mining Law.

Panalipdan secretary general Francis Morales said the Mining Act is the culprit behind the massive pillage of the country's mineral resources and the destruction of thousands of hectares of forest areas, watershed areas and water systems.

"The people have long been demanding for the scrapping of this unconstitutional law and we urge President (Benigno) Aquino to listen to the call of the people and mother earth," Morales said.

With the enactment of the Mining Law (Republic Act 7942) in 1995, Morales said "the government must remain its control in mining industry to avoid foreign monopoly in the mining industry."

"Technology, research should be maximized to develop sound small scale mining practices. Mining should not be allowed within the areas of great environmental significance," he added in a statement.

As an alternative, Panalipdan SMR said it supports House Bill 4315 or An Act Re-Orienting the Philippine Mining Industry.

Also called the "Peoples Mining Bill," this alternative mining policy aims to address the need for an alternative framework for the mining industry that should be anchored on the principles of social justice, respect for peoples' rights and welfare, environmental conservation, defense of national patrimony and national industrialization.

Partylist representatives Teddy CasiƱo, Luz Ilagan, Neri Javier filed House Bill 4315 before the Lower House on March 2. (Jhun Gatmaitan)